Monday, October 7, 2013

Classic Macaroni and Cheese through the ages



Here's a dish that's been in my family - and probably yours - ever since I can remember. When I was little, my mother used to make it with crushed potato chips on top. When my kids were little, I added chopped apples to it for a healthier twist. I think it was about that same time when I began hearing macaroni and cheese referred to as "mac 'n cheese".  I'm so accustomed to that name now, it's hard to believe that we didn't always call it that.

A couple of years ago, my oldest son told me that he preferred the boxed kind of mac 'n cheese to the homemade one! Turns out that what he liked was a softer, creamier mac 'n cheese. Once I realized that, I started baking the homemade version covered. I prefer it that way now, too.

This afternoon, I got a request for mac 'n cheese from my youngest. What prompted it was today's visit to the orthodontist for an expander. If you've never heard of an expander, let me just say that this is basically a torture device that goes into your mouth and gets cranked up little by little to spread your teeth apart. This is the first step on the road to braces when your teeth are overcrowded.

When the orthodontist told my son that he should eat soft foods for the first few days, my son immediately suggested that I make homemade mac 'n cheese.

This is my version of a recipe that I got from the back of a box of Mueller's elbow macaroni many years ago. Vary it as you, and your loved ones, see fit.









4 TB corn starch
11/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard 
1/4 tsp. pepper
5 cups milk
3 TB butter
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. shredded mozzarella
1 lb. box of elbow macaroni - cooked 6 minutes in boiling salted water, then drained

In a medium saucepan, combine corn starch, salt, dry mustard & pepper. To speed up the white sauce process, heat the milk in the microwave first. I do this in a couple of batches: 2 1/2 cups of milk heated on high for 3 minutes, then add it to the saucepan, then the next 2 1/2 cups of milk microwaved, then added to the saucepan. Bring mixture to boil over medium heat while stirring. When it comes to a boil, stop stirring and let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add butter and stir. Reserve 1/2 cup cheese for topping. Add remaining cheese and stir until melted. Add elbows. Turn into a large greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake covered in a 375 F oven for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Put under the broiler for a couple of minutes if you want to brown the top. For a crunchier top, bake uncovered for the entire baking time.






2 comments:

Janice said...

I love macaroni & cheese, Anita, and yours looks delicious! Looking forward to seeing you and Marcia on 10/28.

Anita said...

Thanks, Janice! It's almost as good as your meat lasagna!