Friday, October 4, 2013

It's the pie that you want



Apple Crumble Pie

Easy-to-make and uber-crumbly


You know when you're home at night and you really want something sweet? There's nothing in the house to eat and you know you could make something, but you're tired and you really don't feel like making anything? That was me last night. I remembered that I had apples and that they could be made into a pie. I said to myself, "Apple pie would be good."

"Yes, good idea! Make an apple pie," said a voice from the next room.

An hour or so later, there was that voice again. "So, where's that apple pie?"

I did not feel like making a pie.  Well, not a crust anyway.

Then I thought, "I could make a crustless apple pie. A Dutch apple pie." And, with that thought, an apple pie came to fruition. ;)

We have pie!

Well, we had pie.

Correction, I had pie. The kids had none. That's because they had fallen asleep.

But, today they got the pie that they wanted.

Did I mention how good this pie is, er, was, and will be when you make it?





For the crumb mixture:
2 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
1 packet of instant oatmeal (apple/cinnamon flavor works great)
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. unsalted butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients. Add butter and stir with fork until crumbly. Reserve 1½ cups for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of a pie or quiche plate.
For the filling:
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
3 TB cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil and stir until thick. Set aside.
Peel and cut 5 cooking apples into pieces - sort of like thick slices cut in half (about 3 cups), and place into prepared pie plate. Pour filling mixture over apples. Cover with the remaining 1½ cups crumb topping.
Bake at 350F for about 55 minutes or until topping begins to brown. Cool a bit on wire rack.

Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

All dressed up and nowhere to go but down






No comments: