Saturday, June 29, 2013

These are the ties that bind

Today is June 29th, my sister and brother's birthday.

The twins - Marcia and Brian.
 


My mother always said that Brian was a gentleman because he allowed his sister to come into the world first. Wasn't that thoughtful of him?! A good guy, even back in the womb.




Marcia

My dear, devoted sister Marcia is always ready for a good time.  She's willing to go anywhere, do anything, and gets along well with everyone.

Her creativity comes through in so many ways: in her choice of gifts, her way with words, and her baking skills.  Also, she was a talented seamstress in high school and was the "mistress of ceremonies", as we called it back then, for her High School's Home Economics Fashion Show. Marcia made a bathrobe for me and had me model it for the show. I remember being totally humiliated wearing that bathrobe, completely lost in the school, wandering the halls, trying to find Marcia, when someone finally told me that she was on stage hosting the show! 

Here is Marcia, pictured above, sporting a bathrobe of all things, on the sleep sofa in our cottage in Maine! 

Marcia is a gifted writer. Her talent even won her a trip for two to Waikiki!

We were thrilled when we heard Boston radio personality & TV host, Dave Maynard, announce on the talent show, Community Auditions, that Marcia had won the grand prize of the Weetabix Cereal tongue-twister contest! 

Here's her winning entry:  

Why not wage war against those wilted wheats? 
When wee ones whine & whimper
and workers walk in weary, what will win 'em over? 
Why not nutlike, wholesome Weetabix,the fortified fiber food?
With whatever one wishes, one-hundred percent whole wheat Weetabix biscuits 
is the worthwhile weapon to wipe away the woes. 
Wise up with wheaty Weetabix, the well-chosen winning way
to the wonderful world of the sweeter wheat!

With warm wishes,
Marcia





Coincidentally, Marcia's favorite method for roasting a turkey comes from none other than Dave Maynard!  





"Moist & flavorful - enjoy!" - Marcia


Slather the outside of a thawed turkey with vegetable oil. Put 4 slices of buttered toast in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place turkey - breast side down - on toast. Bake in a 425F oven for 45-60 minutes. Do not bake longer than 1 hour. Remove from oven. Remove turkey from pan, and throw away toast. In a clean roasting pan, criss-cross 2 pieces of aluminum foil long enough to wrap the bird. Place turkey on foil, breast side up. Cool turkey a bit and stuff with your favorite dressing, if desired. Wrap foil tightly around turkey.

Turn oven to 350F and bake turkey 18-20 minutes per pound, subtracting the amount of time you previously baked the turkey. Twenty minutes before the turkey is done, open the foil to about halfway down, drain the juices for gravy, and return the turkey to the oven to brown for 20 minutes.






Marcia and I inherited our love of food and cooking from our mother. Marcia and Mama took cake decorating classes together. For years, we insisted that Marcia make the cake for our birthdays and holidays. She finally got wise to us and put a stop to that.


When Marcia & I get together, we spend a lot of time talking about food, sharing recipes, baking, and making meals. My children and I love it when Marcia spends time with us at our house. MARCIA equals FUN and makes any day special. I recommend her for your next occasion! Just be aware, however, that toward the end of the evening, she might fall asleep at the dinner table.






Brother Brian
Here he is on the ferry on our way to the Statue of Liberty back in 1979.


I don't recall my brother ever cooking anything. Opening up a bag of Wise Potato Chips, yes, that I remember. Gotta have those Wise Potato Chips! And how about it when you pull out one of those chips with the really dark edges? Mmmm, good! I can see Brian licking his fingers right now. 

Brian does have some knowledge of baking, however, because when I was quite young, he helped me with a recipe. I had a kids' cookbook, and I wanted to make some cookies. My brother and I were home alone. I'm not sure where Mama was at the time. I got all of the ingredients that were listed and mixed them all together. What confused me, though, was when I started reading the directions and it said, "Melt the butter". I asked Brian, "How do I melt the butter if I already mixed it in with the other stuff?" He knew the answer!

I tell you, my brother is so smart! And caring! Before I had ever tasted lobster, I asked him if he had ever eaten it, and if he liked it. He said, "Oh, yes! It's delicious! You just have to watch out for the bones!"

Like most families, we had a traditional Sunday dinner growing up.  Around 7 o'clock at night on Sunday we had another tradition, too. Pizza! The best pizza in the world was from Crossroads Cafe in Easton, Mass.  And when I got my driver's license, Brian taught me the meaning of "I'll buy, you fly!"

Brian has always been a great brother, kind and generous. When I was in my early twenties, Brian was working in New York City, and I visited him at his apartment in Queens. One night we ventured off to a restaurant. When we ordered steamed clams, the waiter said, "OK then, piss clams!"

"Piss clams?" we asked.

"Yeah, you know," said the waiter, "that's how you find clams. You stomp on the sand and when the water comes shooting up you know there's a clam underneath and you dig it up! Piss clams!"

We had a good laugh over that one!


So, Happy Birthday, Marcia and Brian!

Thank you for these and many other fond memories. Wishing you much love and happiness in the years to come.

Your little sister, Anita.










6 comments:

olivia lowell said...

Good post ! wishing a happy birthday for your brother and sister. You had me at "Piss clams". I never knew that's how the name originated.

Anita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anita said...

Olivia, I didn't know that this was a common expression! Thanks for your comment!

elizabethanbabe said...

A nice note from Marcia...
To my dear sister Anita...Thanks so much for the special birthday greeting. I never laughed so hard after reading about tales of the past as well as viewing the photos of the "identical twins" and of Brian with those sideburns. How times have changed? I couldn't have asked for a more thoughtful gift. Anita, you have such a special way with words. Thanks again for the laughs and for taking the time to include a few memories of Brian and me in your blog. Love you, Marcia

elizabethanbabe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

This is so nice, Anita!
What a nice sister you are!