Friday, December 13, 2013

Season's Greetings!



It has been a few years since I've taken the time to sit down and write out Christmas cards. It was so nice to renew the tradition - sitting by the fire, going through my old address book and finding friends to re-connect with. There's something so calming and so dear about putting pen to paper, sealing envelopes with pretty holiday stickers, and making a special trip to the post office for Christmas stamps.


Speaking of connecting with people, I heard from Mary, a thoughtful, Yankee Kitchen listener, who took the time to contact me and share her memories of Gus Saunders and the Yankee Kitchen. She wrote about Gus's last broadcast, how sad she and her mother were that day, and how she wanted to maintain the connection among the callers. I remember that day very well, too, and how Gus said that there would be other things to come along to take the place of the program. Those days are irreplaceable. And, certainly, no one can take the place of the kind-hearted gentleman who was so dearly loved by his listeners.



Reminisce for a few moments as Gus greets new callers
in his typical welcoming way



I received a wonderful gift of Boston Kitchen cookbooks (The Yankee Kitchen's earlier name) from the daughter of one of the show's long-time listeners. While callers shared their own recipes with each other, it was a rare treat to get a recipe from Gus. However, in the very back of one of these cookbooks, is a section entitled "Some of Gus' Favorite Recipes". 

Here are three classic dishes that Gus enjoyed. Perhaps they'll grace your table this holiday season. 

Wishing you peace and joy and love,

Anita

1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons bacon fat
1/2 cup onions, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup water
1 cup canned beef broth
3/4 cup burgundy

Dredge meat in mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Brown slowly in bacon fat.  Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer very slowly about 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Stir often, adding a little water if needed. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice. Serves 4.

6 medium potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot milk or light cream
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 ounces Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated

Boil, peel, and mash potatoes. Add butter, salt and milk and blend until smooth. Spread in oven-proof casserole. Cover with heavy cream (whipped) and sprinkle with grated cheese. Brown under broiler.



1 small can pitted, black cherries
2 teaspoons arrowroot or cornstarch
2 ounces brandy
1 pint vanilla ice cream

Drain cherries and heat reserved juice in small saucepan adding arrowroot and blend thoroughly. Cook until reduced by one third and slightly thickened. Add cherries and heat through. Add brandy. Heat a few seconds and ignite. Pour flaming cherries with juice over ice cream. Serves 2.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to listen to Gus when I drove through Connecticut as a salesman in the 1990's. It helped pass the time in an entertaining way and I got to know Gus and his callers. It was good fun!

Elayna said...

Anita,
I just wanted to thank you for posting the “new caller” video. I clicked on that clip so my husband could hear the old “Yankee Kitchen” radio program that my grandmother used to listen to.
Well, I got more than I bargained for. My grandma was B Irene, the second caller in the clip! I could not believe my ears! She left this earth in 2018. I have played the clip over and over! She sounds so young and I was wondering if you know the date of this particular broadcast? Thank you, thank you, thank you, for putting this clip online!

Elayna said...

Anita,
I just wanted to thank you for posting the “new caller” video. I clicked on that clip so my husband could hear the old “Yankee Kitchen” radio program that my grandmother used to listen to.
Well, I got more than I bargained for. My grandma was B Irene, the second caller in the clip! I could not believe my ears! She left this earth in 2018. I have played the clip over and over! She sounds so young and I was wondering if you know the date of this particular broadcast? Thank you, thank you, thank you, for putting this clip online!