Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Just when you thought it couldn't get any hotter




It has been so hot lately that getting a meal together takes some real effort.

The other night it was 90 degrees and sweltering. I didn't feel like cooking, but I was hungry. I didn't feel like eating meat. And I wasn't in the mood for fruit or yogurt or another salad. I wanted something satisfying,

My son was in the kitchen. He had the oven on.



 "You're using the oven?!" I said.

"I wanted to melt some cheese on my bread."

"Did you ever hear of a grilled cheese sandwich?"

"I don't like grilled cheese sandwiches."




Okay...

Well, since the oven was already on, I figured I'd throw together a quiche!

Quiche me quick!        



This is my all-time favorite summer dish filled with ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and vidalia onions. This recipe was given to me by my next door neighbor many years ago. I've made it time and time again. Vary to your heart's content.


Tomato and Swiss Cheese Quiche

Heat oven to 425 degrees.

10 oz. Swiss cheese
3/4 cup light cream
a handful of fresh basil leaves
2 large vidalia onions, sliced
3 medium tomatoes, sliced
2 eggs
2-3 TB butter
1-2 TB flour

Grate cheese and toss with flour. Saute onions in butter until soft but not browned. Put 1/3 of the cheese in a quiche dish. Put onions on top. Saute tomatoes in butter for a bit, and put on top of the onions, add the basil. Add the remaining cheese. Beat eggs with the cream and pour on top. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Turn the heat down to 350 and bake 20 minutes more until done and light golden.













No comments: