Sunday, January 20, 2013

Yankee Kitchen Moments

Have you ever had the experience of being transported back to an earlier time in your life?  You never know what might set it off.  A place, an aroma, or a feeling can be a powerful memory trigger.  It happened to me just the other day, and it brought me back to The Yankee Kitchen.

Last Monday, in the beginning of January, it felt like a beautiful spring day here in New England.  It was so warm! It's amazing how the weather can have such a profound effect on your mood.
I was feeling happy with more energy than usual, opened the windows, collected the remnants of the Christmas decorations outside, then went grocery shopping. It was about 1:30 in the afternoon, as I was putting the last of the groceries in the car, that, for just a split-second, the thought ran through my mind: "When I get home, I can listen to Gus."  It was just that time of day, getting close to 2:05 in the afternoon, with the kids still in school, that I would be tuning in to the Yankee Kitchen.

For almost 30 years, the Yankee Kitchen was an important part of my life.  I started listening with my mother when I was growing up, and continued through my college years, and later, when I got married and had children.  It was a pleasant routine on weekday afternoons for so long, that it's no surprise that it would come to mind on a beautiful springlike day.


 


Listen in to a few moments with Gus and a "satisfied customer"


Now, with the approach of spring, a perennial thought comes to mind: I've got to lose weight!

Well, let's not jump into things here.  Let's ease into this.  Let's start with lemon.  That's light.  How about a lemon bread?  It's carbohydrates, but it does have the essence of lightness.  That's the ticket. 

And, what's more, it's delicious.






 
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 2/3 cups flour
3/4 cup buttermilk*
1 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
Glaze
3 TB lemon juice
1 TB sugar
Beat butter until softened.  Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy - about 5 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly combined.  Stir together flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  Add flour mixture, buttermilk, and lemon peel and beat until moistened.  Pour into a greased 8x4" loaf pan.  Bake for about 1 hour, or until tests done with toothpick, in a preheated 350 degree oven.  Cover with foil if necessary to prevent overbrowning.
Remove from oven and place on a rack to cool for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan. 
Combine glaze ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved.  Spoon glaze over bread and allow bread to cool.  Slice and enjoy.
*Buttermilk substitute: combine 1 c. milk with 1 TB vinegar.  Let rest 5 minutes, and measure out 3/4 c. for recipe.

This recipe is a slight adaptation of a recipe featured in the Boston Globe Magazine many years ago.



Wishing you beautiful days and all the things that make you happy.
Anita













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a treat it was to hear Gus again! I miss the show and his callers. Thank you for writing this blog. Keep up the good work!