Saturday, March 24, 2012

Back to basics



Home & family & focusing on what my kids tell me


Taking time to rest & relax


Spending time with good friends


Really enjoying that beautiful spring day


Appreciating what I have


Counting my blessings


I think on these things.

Unitarian-Universalist minister Carol Rosine once said to me, "All we can really hope for in life is happy moments."

Happy Moments.



Do you remember Gus’s final show when he told his listeners that something else would come along in our lives to take the place of the Yankee Kitchen? 

I know, for me, that other things did come along.  But the happy moments that I had while listening to Gus and his callers, and the joys that I experienced during the Yankee Kitchen years, were truly irreplaceable.



I was so pleased to hear from some Yankee Kitchen listeners recently.
I got a wonderful email from Calamity Jane.  She was happy to connect with me and share memories of the Yankee Kitchen Days.  She also shared her recipe for Andrew’s Crustless Apple Pie.  Here it is.

****************
 

   1 large egg -- well-beaten
   1/2 cup sugar
   1/2 cup light brown sugar
   1 teaspoon vanilla
   1/2 cup all-purpose flour
   1 teaspoon baking powder
   2 1/2 cups apples -- peeled, cored, sliced
   1/2 cup nuts -- chopped
   pinch of cinnamon

Place beaten egg in large bowl and add sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.  Beat well.  Add flour, baking powder and mix well.  Add apples and mix well by hand.  Add nuts and cinnamon and mix.  Spread mixture in a 9" greased (not floured) pie plate.  Bake 350° for 30 minutes.  Cool and cut into wedges and serve with vanilla ice cream or cheese.
  
Serves 6
****************


I look forward to hearing from you, answering requests for old favorites, and putting the word out to others who may have that special recipe you've been seeking.

Anita

No comments: