Thursday, September 29, 2011

Kathleen's Oatmeal Cookies


In response to Ann’s request for Oatmeal Cookies I’d like to share this one that comes with a story, of course.

Alright, I know you’re thinking “I’d just like the recipe, thank you.”

This recipe comes from Kathleen - a wiry, elderly, English lady with a great sense of humor.  She was one of a cast of characters that we got to know during our first ten years of marriage living in a Quaker community.

Kathleen was a hoot! While tending her lovely flower garden, she liked to do a little two-step and sing out, “Whoopie!” Sometimes when she was leaving our house, she would open the closet door instead of the exit.  Sometimes I’d just open the closet door for her!  She and I had a good laugh over that!  Anytime she was getting ready to leave but would linger a bit, she’d say, “Well, as Cromwell says, ‘If you’re going, for God’s sake, GO!’”

Kathleen not only gave me this recipe for Oatmeal Cookies, but she gave me her cookie sheet, too.  Actually, she was just letting me borrow the cookie sheet, but when I returned it to her she said that I might as well keep it because it had become completely ruined!  Well, I’m pretty sure that I returned it to her in the same condition as when I got it! Oh well! That was crazy Kathleen for you!

This might be the standard recipe on the back of an oatmeal box, but it’s good!

           
*********************



 3/4 c. shortening
1 c. firmly packed-brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. water
1 ts. vanilla
1 c. sifted all-purpose flour
1 ts. salt
1/2 ts. baking soda
3 cups regular oats

Beat shortening, sugars, egg, water & vanilla together until creamy.  Sift together flour, salt & soda, add to creamed mixture; blend well.  Stir in oats.  Drop by teaspoons onto greased cookie sheets.  Bake in a 350° oven for 12-15 minutes.  For variety, add chopped nuts, raisins, chocolate chips or coconut.  Makes 5 dozen.

********************

No comments: