Sunday, September 25, 2011

When did eating get so complicated?

Between having to choose foods low in cholesterol ... worrying about good and bad fats ...avoiding “farmed” fish ... avoiding potatoes, rice, and bread ... getting enough calcium and vitamin D without ingesting too many calories ... deciphering the plethora of yogurt options ... and trying to stick to locally grown foods ...

I’m “fed’' up!


I’m either eating nothing or everything.  Right now I’m into my eating-everything phase.  And that’s not good.

Of course my obsession with the Food Network isn’t helping me any.  There is no shortage of good stuff to watch on that channel, and, what's more, no limit to the things I've been eating! 

Talk about Food Wars! I’ve been waging one of my own for years.  Quite frankly, I’m about ready to raise the White Flag.  I give up! 

I can hear my mother right now saying to me, “Everything in moderation.”  And I can hear my mother quoting her mother, “If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!”
Are you food obsessed?
Are you a label reader?
Do you have a handle on food and can share your secrets with me on this “weighty” issue?

Memories of the Yankee Kitchen take me back to a simpler time - the good ol' days of enjoying life and food - a time when we didn’t know so much about how bad the good could be!  To quote George Bailey in It’s a Wonderful Life, “I want to live again!  Please God, let me live again!”  Living the Yankee Kitchen way. :)
I will leave you with this seasonal recipe - Apple Spice Cake - that I mentioned in my first posting.  Leslie from Lawrence requested it from me. 


                                              *********************************

 

Greased 9 x 13 pan; 350 for 45-50 min.

5 large apples peeled, cored, sliced (recipe says chopped, but I like sliced)
6 TB brandy, applejack, rum or bourbon
1 ½ c. sugar
½ c. veg. oil
2 eggs
2 c. unsifted flour
2 ts. Cinnamon
2 ts. Baking soda
1 ts. Nutmeg
1 ts. Salt
¼ ts. Ground cloves
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. raisins ( I use1/2 golden/1/2 regular) 

Place apples, raisins and brandy in bowl.  Set aside.  Mix together sugar, oil, eggs and beat.  Sift together dry ingredients.  Combine apples, raisins and brandy with flour mixture and sugar mixture.  Stir to mix.  Add walnuts, mix to combine.  Bake at 350 for 45-50 min.   Serve warm or room temp with whipped cream, ice cream or sour cream.  Cut in squares.

Best when made a day ahead!

                                               *********************************

I’m going to make this Apple Spice Cake this week and have a piece or two…




If there's anyone out there looking for a particular recipe, send me an e-mail and I'll put the word out. 

Got a recipe you'd like to share?  Offer it!  

Send your requests, offers, comments, and responses to my weighty issues to ykconnection@gmail.com.

Let’s see how it goes ye olde Yankee Kitchen fans.
 

No comments: