Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Oven Pot Roast



I came across this recipe in my files yesterday and it certainly took me back.

In the interest of full disclosure, I found this recipe on epicurious.com. I noted it on the recipe and also wrote this: 

"Delicious! Kids loved it! Ages 17, 16, and 13."

My oldest and middle child were in high school and my youngest was in middle school. That was only nine years ago? It seems like forever! A lot has happened since then, but this recipe is still a winner. 


Oven Pot Roast

4 lb. pot roast

2 tsp. salt

3/4 tsp. pepper

2 TB vegetable oil

2 large onions, chopped

2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 TB tomato paste

1/4 tsp dried thyme or 1 tsp. fresh  

1/4 tsp. dried rosemary or 1 tsp. fresh

1 1/2 cups dry white wine

1 c. water


With a paper towel, pat dry the beef and rub it with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Heat oil in an oven proof 5 quart heavy pot over medium high heat until hot. Brown meat on all sides (~15 minutes), then remove to a plate. 



Add onions to the pot and saute until pale golden (~10 minutes).




Add garlic, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary and the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. 





At this point, with this opened can of tomato paste with only one tablespoon removed, you may start to think about waste. I think about it. I think that I should put tablespoon-sized dollops of it onto a piece of waxed paper and freeze for later use. I don't have any waxed paper so I think I could use plastic wrap. Then I realize that I will forget all about those dollops in the freezer and I'll never have any use for them anyway because I rarely use tomato paste and a can of the stuff is pretty darn cheap anyway if I really need it.




Add wine and water and bring to a boil.





Return beef to the pot and cover tightly. Place in a 325 F oven.

Turn once after an hour, cover again, and braise until tender - 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven and let stand 30 minutes. Serve with egg noodles.

No comments: