Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Good Old Fashioned Pot Roast


It's hard to believe that I haven't posted this recipe before.

I've made this easy, delicious pot roast many times. It's an adaptation of a beef stew recipe that I got from a Woman's Day magazine umpteen years ago. You can vary it to your heart's content. I always make it in a crock pot. It takes no time at all to throw together and at the end of the day you have a delicious hot meal waiting for you. You can cook it on the stove or in the oven if you'd prefer.




Good Old Fashioned Pot Roast


3-4 pound pot roast 

4-5 potatoes, peeled and quartered

4-5 carrots, peeled, and cut in large pieces or use baby carrots

a couple of stalks of celery, cut up

1 medium-sized onion, quartered

1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes

2 cups water

a couple of generous glogs of Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. or so of herbs of provence or italian seasoning

beef bouillion cube or a teaspoon of beef bouillion granules

1 tsp. salt

ground pepper

1 bay leaf


I happened to have a few mushrooms in the refrigerator so I decided to add them as well. I rinsed them with water, then used a paper towel to clean them off, then sliced them. This made me think of Gus Saunders - the host of the Yankee Kitchen radio show. I remember a discussion he had on the radio with someone who said that they never cleaned their mushrooms. Gus said that he always cleaned his mushrooms because he knew what they were grown in. 

HAHA. 




Put all of the vegetables and remaining ingredients in the bottom of a crock pot and place the roast on top. Cover and cook on high 5-6 hours or on low for 8 hours without removing cover.








Enjoy!






No comments: