Friday, December 18, 2015

It's coming on Christmas



They're cutting down trees. They're putting up reindeer and singing songs of joy and peace.




I hope you clicked on the above link and listened to this beautiful song. Yes, it's melancholic for the Christmas season, but beautiful nonetheless. It's not all sweetness and light for everyone at this time of year, you know.

Including me. I'm living away from where I grew up. Many things have changed in my life. And I'm in a warmer climate. How do people get into the Christmas spirit in a warmer climate? I don't get it. It's all in what we're used to apparently. And I'm not used to this at all.

Well, what better way to rally than to put up some greenery, a few lights, and candles. Yankee Candles. Christmas Cookie Yankee Candles. Yeah, that's the spirit!




And speaking of Christmas cookies... Here's one of my favorites.


Sugar Spice Cookies

Mmmmmm. So good. I got this one from my sister. Thank you, Dottie, for this recipe and for all the happy memories I have of spending Christmas Eve with you in your cozy home.










And now the printable version.




Mix together thoroughly:

3/4  cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses

Sift together:

2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground cloves
3/4 tsp. ginger


Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Roll mixture in 1 inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Press cookies down with cloth covered glass damped a bit on the bottom. Sprinkle with sugar (colored sugar is nice for Christmas). Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees. If you like a chewy cookie, bake for about 8 minutes.

Merry Christmas everyone. Make yourself happy.





No comments: