Thursday, October 6, 2011

Birthday Cakes

It's that time of year when my three sons move up in age.  My middle guy - Justin - is turning 16 this month.  Here he is with his first birthday cake back in 1996.


He reminded me a bit of Linus from Peanuts, so I made him a Linus cake.


I've always been into cakes.





One of my favorite cakes is the One-Two-Three-Four Cake - a recipe given to me by my sister Dottie.  It's a delicious, dense, three layer, vanilla cake.


********************


1 c. butter or shortening (or 1/2 c. each)
2 c. sugar
4 eggs, separated
3 c. flour
1/4 ts. salt
3 ts. baking powder 
1 c. milk
1 ts. vanilla

Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.  Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.  Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk & vanilla to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.  Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.  Pour into 3 9-inch round greased and floured cake pans.  Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.  Let cool a bit on racks, remove cake, and cool completely.

This cake is nice with a basic buttercream frosting or...



2 unbeaten egg whites
1 ½ c. sugar
5 TB cold water
1 ¼ ts. cream of tartar
1 ½ TB light corn syrup
1 ts. vanilla

Place first 5 ingredients in the top of a double boiler.  Over boiling water, beat ingredients with an electric mixer or a wire whisk for 7 minutes until peaks form.  Remove from heat.  Whisk in vanilla.


********************


Here's another favorite cake of mine from my sister Marcia. She sent me this recipe, along with a note that I've kept from her since June of '92.  In it, Marcia wrote:


"I plan to tune into Gus some afternoon - but I'm hesitant about doing so.  I know how contagious this sort of thing can become.  I'd have recipes galore which I'd probably never get around to making."

And your point is...?


                                                     *********************** 


Spumoni Cake with Chocolate Glaze














2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! I use to listen to Gus Saunders in my car in Malden Massachusetts when I would pick my kids up from school. I would get their 30 minutes early so I could write down all the yummy recipes people were so nice to call in. Moving around so much I lost my little note pad of recipes, how sad I was.... But Thanks to you I now have the spumoni cake recipe again! That recipe is so very special to me, it brings me dear memories of my family when we were all together, a happier time in my life. I will make this cake this evening and think about my family I miss so much... Thank you Dear Friend
N. Rivera

Anita said...

Thank you so much for sharing with me your connection with the Yankee Kitchen. I'm happy that you found this recipe. I understand how bittersweet these memories can be. Thank you for taking the time to write to me.